View Single Post
Old 2006-07-05, 11:40   Link #94
brightredglow

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
I honestly do not think Rika and Mayama's relationship is the 'most painfully boring pair of the bunch,' because it's the best depiction of a probably fruitful unrequited love that turns to acceptance, and then requiting, IMHO. Never have I seen an anime before portray unrequited love so realistically; the reasons why Rika can't accept Mayama despite her liking him (I think) is too painfully realistic. But I don't think it's trite or boring.

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinions.
Mmm... There is a difference between trite and boring and I would never say the relationship is trite, but I do find the characters interaction for this particular pairing to be boring especially in comparison to the chemistry zing that happens elsewhere in the show. I can root for Rika/Mayama when it is in theory but I find that when they are actually together on screen, my interest wanes considerably. Even when I re-watch, I find myself interested only when there is a third party in the mix. Rika's personality seemed to have more spark when she was with Ayu than when she was with Mayama. Mayama shows more personality when he is with anyone but Rika. Consequently, even though I sympathize with them and the circumstances that are hindering them, I still find myself wanting to skip their scenes.

And you are right. It is totally my opinion only. I expect others will have a different take on it.

Hopefully this season, since the development of their relationship will probably be a focus, I will find them more interesting as a couple.
brightredglow is offline   Reply With Quote