Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2011-06-21, 16:27   Link #14319
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I have to disagree. I did a stint at an american university and American universities get all the best international talent, with the only close contender being the UK. All the international students always said America is the top destination, including those I met in Ireland. I knew a Kazakstani who said he was only in Ireland as his grades weren't good enough for the USA scholarships...

That said the guy is right that anti immigration trends in the US could hamper that, but it hasn't done so yet.
While that's true, you also have to consider the cost of studying in US universities/colleges, which are not too different from UK unis, as you say, particularly when it comes to international students. It's quite normal for them to have to pay 3 times the fee that a home student would have to pay. While the recognition (not neccessarily quality) of the education you receive from the US is greater than what you could get from other places, it's extremely difficult for international students to get something from it unless their family is very rich, or they take out a loan that indentures them for life. It's not neccessarily to do with anti-immigration laws.