Thread: Licensed Love Hina
View Single Post
Old 2006-02-03, 00:12   Link #92
rooboy
Umeboshi!

Really? I normally don't laugh at anything (I find almost all comedy exceptionally overrated), but I thought it was one of the funniest things I'd ever read. As a matter of fact, it started a spurt of me checking out a lot of other comedy manga stuff to see if I thought it was all funny. However, I don't know that it's a master of consistency in characterization or anything.

I think, like drama, comedy is hard to pigeonhole. It depends a lot on personality and life experiences. There are a lot of things that I realize are funny; however, they never cause me to smile or laugh. My son thinks Azumanga Daioh is the funniest thing ever, but it only rarely makes me smile (the only moment I can really think of is when Chiyo is afraid to get back in Nyamo's car). I know it's funny, but it doesn't cause any real humor reaction in me. Similarly my wife thinks Fruit Basket is hysterical, but the only part that I found to be that way was when Tohru grabbed the bun instead of Yuki and squished the bean paste out.
So I guess I'd have to say that like most subjective things, it's just a matter of taste.