Thread: Licensed 5 Centimeters per Second
View Single Post
Old 2006-08-18, 03:58   Link #22
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
The trailer is the same as the one from the official site. (which, by the way, has just been updated with contents from Shinkai-san's previous works as well)

From the way the books are drawn and colored (every book different), I'd say they are not CG (perhaps created through photoshop instead (ie. edited photo), since Shinkai-san did mention he uses photoshop heavily in his backgrounds). Shinkai-san does make use of CG arts in his works, but they tend to be used for large moving objects (mechs in "Hoshi no Koe", for example), not for stationary backgrounds.
Oh, but I take that into consideration already.. the books colored different; with lighting and a good physics engine that's well possible. I'm not naive with regards to this sort of thing, and I think modern technology is pushing that boundary.. the girl in the scene is also picking up a book from the shelves, and it'll be useful to see if that book is drawn different from the rest (which is the usual technique). We're also not too sure if these are really stationary backgrounds, are we?

The camera could be panning from left to right, for which a 3D rendered bg would be far more accurate than 2D art. I'll agree with you that it's more likely that it's a static bg, but I think it being a polygon model isn't impossible or improbable. But we'll see..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote