View Single Post
Old 2010-03-16, 01:10   Link #11
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
You have this somewhat annoying community split, where no side is in any disposition to listen to the other, which you do not deal with properly. (emphasis added)
I think you're being argumentative here, felix. Suggesting that "you," meaning I assume the moderators, somehow have a problem because of a "community split" seems to undervalue the "split" part of the controversy (if there is one).

Quote:
Here's the current example: "moe shows"
I agree that there is a group of forum members that perceive themselves as somehow embattled because they like "moe shows," while others supposedly see "moe" as the root of all evil. (For the record, I fall into neither camp.) Like you, I've seen this discussion recur in a number of different threads. You suggest a more vigorous enforcement of the rules, particularly those about pertinency . I suppose I would, too, but not at the cost of civility. As you say, today's moe might be tomorrow's Baccano. These disputes will never disappear because they're about matters of taste. Different generations of anime viewers will have different disputes, but it's disingenuous to think disputes like these won't persist forever on boards like AS.

Quote:
when you start to talk about "current trends in the industry" or how "the industry is failing" are you still on-topic or is your post no more then a generic-reference to the show in question?
No, I'd agree those posts are off-topic within program threads and should be relegated to General Anime. However I also understand the conflict between respecting the diversity of our fellow members' opinions and the need to stay focused on topic. Other than using the reporting mechanism, I'm not sure what else the moderators can really do.

Quote:
And no its not a case of moderators not being there, at least Solace, Pellissier, White Manju Bun have been there, even participating in it and yes posts have been deleted but its typically never the source of the whining war (as KiNA pointed out subsequent defenders are also pretty much whining as well).
I only read a very limited number of series discussions so I don't have a wide sample of current postings on which to base an opinion. Still, never being one to refrain from voicing my point-of-view, I'd say most of the moderators, including those you cite specifically, do an excellent job at fulfilling their most important role, monitoring for spoilers. That's the most basic AS policy, and I'm happy to see that it's enforced pretty strictly.

If you ask me for a solution, I'd argue for more sticky threads. Offering an on-going, sticky "state of anime" thread might provide a locus for debates about moe, fansubbing, prices, etc., etc. I guess I'm suggesting we create a whining thread, since whining does seem remarkably characteristic of the anime audience.

Since I have the floor, I'd like to suggest having some sticky threads in the Suggestions forum as well. We could accommodate perhaps 80% of the requests in Suggestions with half-a-dozen genre-based threads.

Oh, and felix, please don't take this personally. I think you raised worthwhile issues even if I think you were a bit harsh when it comes to our moderators.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote