View Single Post
Old 2012-11-10, 22:00   Link #79
Shimapan
Try me! <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
But more pertinent is how many people in this world (even including government agents, like Police Inspector Akane!) feel the need to turn to anonymous advice-givers for the problems in their life. In a world where psychiatric health clearly counts for a helluva lot, it is pretty eyebrow-raising how there are barely any mental health professionals to be seen.
I would be very surprised if there were still any mental health professionals at all (outside of "treatment camps", that is).
Vising any such person would make you instantly suspicious. "Oh, looks like there's someone in need of treatment."
That treatment doesn't seem to be a nice thing either, given how people go to great lenghts to avoid it (or to get scanned in the first place). Some sort of brainwashing, perhaps?
Thus, people keep all their problems to themselves, making sure to let no one know about them, in order to look as "sane" as possible.
No wonder that charlatans like "Talisman" are so extremely popular - it's the only thing people have left, where they can talk about their problems anonymously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I wonder what that might say about the state of the mental health profession in the world of Psycho-Pass. Is the "therapy" offered in this world entirely automated and/or AI-driven? Are human psychiatrists considered obsolete? Or did Sibyl (and/or humans) determine that such a profession was too mentally dangerous for any human to enter into since it would put one at a severe, continuous risk of "contamination"? Or maybe they're just having a hard time finding people willing to risk that contamination, hence a shortage of mental health professionals.
I think that coming into frequent contact with "not-so-sane" people is the main thing scaring people off this job. For those who still take it, there might be a high drop-out rate of people who feel that their PP is getting too clouded from the job, and then quickly quit before they turn into "latent criminals" and are degraded to Enforcers - which all seem to be ex-police, without exception, as I can't imagine them hiring actual criminals for that job.
Once humiliated by that degradation, some Enforcers (like Shinja) seem to rely excessively on that Sybil system (which isn't all that great to begin with) - probably, because they don't trust their own judgement anymore and feel it brought upon their present situation.