View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 13:01   Link #878
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
O_O I've never seen the need to debate arbitrary rating numbers to such detail. I mean, what's the difference between a 6 and a 8 or an 8 and a 10? Or a 7 and a 8.253532. It's just abstract representations of a feeling. Personally, for me, it works on a tiering scale, so the ones that have provided the highest level of enjoyment get a 10, and we work our way down. But as I see new things, this rating ends up changing even though the anime didn't, so it has its problems. But I don't care-- other people would. What works for one doesn't work for other people. I've long been a proponent of changing the rating scale to letter grades so people would understand it better, but that's just too trivial of an issue, and any extra discussion deserves its own thread.

Though personally, I'd never rate anything a 1 if I managed to complete it unless it was truly offensive or something. I think there's some value in something lasting long enough for you to finish it, in and of itself, though others will disagree. However, this is why I always think nobody should ever feel forced to watch anything. Since entertainment cannot exist with that, the rating must be low no matter how fair one attempts to be. This late in a series, I guess many have a point in knowing what to expect though it's also possible expectations fell through the floor. I just cannot understand taking a sunk cost mindset towards entertainment. However, I will have to accept that people do feel that they have to finish what they started, and just have to respect it.

I guess there are also other reasons to watch something (everyone loves Kyoani visual quality, and I might sample it myself despite not being interested in the main series.) A movie tends to work well as a sample; I know someone that watched only the Haruhi movie and not the series, and enjoyed it greatly. And that's arguably the worst way to watch the series.

Also, from the nature of the post, Reckoner's post is more of a rant than a review and thus can't be judged accordingly. It's not that great of a review, because it isn't one-- it's a reaction post. If you can't appreciate and understand rants... well let's just say it's just like being unable to appreciate this movie.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2012-07-29 at 13:25.