View Single Post
Old 2007-02-16, 14:00   Link #72
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
A slight increase in length and width translates to only a marginal increase in a tank's front target aspect. It'd still only be a tiny fraction of the target that a 15m mobile suit would present. I'm less trying to paint this as a practical technology; I'm just pointing out that such a technology isn't necessarily exclusive to mobile suits.
That's mainly my question. One of the big issues with creating humanoid machines even 9-10m you still have to deal with gravity, weight and balancing issues, especially since the pressure is being applied to two small surface areas. In combat there's going to be a lot of stress going around for the hydraulics to work. Tanks if I recall correctly displace less weight than cars do.

So the question becomes, lets say you design a anti-grav technology and weight balancing mechanisms that would make machines much lighter. Sure that would help Mechs but why not apply it to tanks or fighters? Beam cannons? PS armor? I'm pretty sure its cheaper and cost-effective to put those on tanks and fighters.

I don't find mechs impractical but more on the lines of being exoskeletons or powered armor for military applications. For civilian applications I was thinking of the mech from Aliens which ripley used to fight the queen(But in turn the machine would be for moving stuff). Or essentially turning a platoon of marines into walking tanks that are only 2-3m tall but with just as much firepower and agility.

Quote:
If that's the case, I would rather be in something that can move around like a human being, whether to flee or fight, and if I have to, at least be able to damage the enemy's cannon by shooting back at it or bending it (or denting it) enough to the point that it can no longer fire correctly.
I take it you've never played counterstrike or games like fear. When your moving and running, your accuracy goes down the drain because your bobbing up and down. If you were on a platform, the shooting is a lot easier.

Something I remembered awhile back.
Kid, "Why do you guys transform into cars?"
Autobot, "because it's better than walking/running"
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote