View Single Post
Old 2012-12-14, 23:05   Link #120
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Rikka hasn't moved on from it yet, at least in part, because of the unusual circumstances surrounding it (which her family frankly played a major role in creating). That, plus there's every indication that Rikka never had many friends before, which is not the case any more. A great personal lost is much harder to weather when you don't have many other close people in your life. But as you create more friendships and relationships in life, it becomes less difficult to move on from past lost.

Furthermore, I think that Rikki found her coping mechanism to be enjoyable in and of itself. She found a lot of it simply "cool". That's why she fell for "Dark Flame Master", remember?

This is something that I don't think you and Klash appreciate enough.
She also pushed those same friends away in the second half of this show when we were introduced to her family situation. Shinka didn't know, Kumin didn't know, and even Dekomori didn't know despite being friends with her longer than Yuuta has.

This isn't something light that naturally wears off with time. I don't think you understand how important it was that Yuuta was constantly there not just to support her, but to keep her in check as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
No, I'm not. I'm well aware of the dangers of the Unseen Horizon portion of Rikka's chuunibyou, and have made that clear before on this thread. Yes, she needs to put the Unseen Horizon behind her. Nonetheless, comparing Rikka's chuunibyou to something like alcoholism or heroine addiction is simply ridiculous. It's an over-the-top comparison.

And so does Rikka, to some extent, for the reasons I mentioned above.

We are now seeing what being denied chuunibyou has done to Rikka.

There is no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater, in spite of what you and Klash (and possibly some others) are arguing.

When has Rikka been outright defiant of her elders, with the exception of her family which she obviously had just cause for feeling resentful towards? When have we seen her act out in-class?

I don't understand how I'm supposed to answer this question when you don't count her family, you don't count her teacher, and you don't even count her peers. What elders are left? Yuuta's mom who usually has to work anyway?

She clearly acted out during her first meeting with Yuuta in class, pretending that her eye and arm were hurting. Then, she acted out against every club she visited, towards peers that weren't part of her class that you could presume to be "used to her". If you're discounting every non-serious example as well as serious cases with her family, then there's not much left to the show. It's been shown that she hasn't been fine even before Yuuta forced her to take off her eyepatch.

I don't understand how her dissatisfaction with being "normal" suddenly translates to going back to the way things were, where she had to turn every social situation, from meeting other people in clubs to dealing with the survival of her club to her own academic career into a battle in search for the Unseen Horizon.

It's been obvious from the very beginning that Rikka needs Yuuta to keep her in check and grounded in reality, yet you're acting like encouraging her to follow not just any fantasy like Dekomori, but the fantasy of finding her father, thinking that she will outgrow it naturally when it's only thanks to Yuuta's help that she could even keep her academics and the club that's so very important to her afloat. She can have her chuunibiyou back when her outlook on her father's death is different.

Last edited by Shadow5YA; 2012-12-14 at 23:35.