View Single Post
Old 2007-05-01, 03:19   Link #46
Skane
Anime Snark

Arrow

The following is based on [Doremi]'s fansub. A bit delayed in my write-up because I had been pressed for time in the past few days (not to mention I am splitting my focused attention between four series ).

Random Thoughts on Ep04:
---- ----
  • The first thing that surprised me was that Koyori was a patient too. Up until now, I had been under the impression that Koyori was just a regular visitor; but now that I think about it, it was unrealistic to have Koyori visiting Aono on her own without Mana accompanying her to the hospital.

Koyori's frequent visits to Aono's room now makes much more sense. I can only blame myself for not being observant enough in the first three episodes.
  • Speaking of which, the bond between Koyori and Aono is something I am encouraged by, in terms of storytelling. Very too often, the issues faced by the side-girls are all solved by the main protagonist. It works, but it tends to place too much importance on one character.

It is rare for a bishoujo-based anime to have the side-characters solve their issues amongst themselves. One of the reasons why Canvas 2 ranks high in my opinion, because the world does not revolve around one character, or one pairing even.
  • Matsuri has weird taste in dolls too... but I suppose that is part of her charm. Setting us up for how compatible Matsuri and Yorito are, before they push us off the cliff.
  • Some of the dolls in the Doll Shop look as though they are being hung by the neck... Is this where Mayuko got her bunny-doll?
  • Kudos to the team for showing that Yorito knows his sister better than Mana in some aspects (I won't say all). If I had to think of a phrase, it would be, "It is the thought that counts."
  • Some of the conversations between Aono and Yorito, and the relationship between Aono and Koyori is particularly haunting to me, because it accurately reflects how people behave in the hospital.

Aono being stubborn about wanting to go home, and Yorito gently telling her that she needed to stay there until she gets better. Man... the number of times I had to have this conversation without losing my composure. Some of you may go, "Oh, it's no big deal." and you'll be right at first; but when the frequency becomes at least 3 times a day, seven days a week, and over months, the strain of keeping a smile while telling them to stay in the hospital is going to crack you a little (especially when your ward starts to gossip with the other patients about how evil-hearted you are for confining her in the hospital ).

Koyori's reluctance to tell Aono about discharging soon is also reflective of "Survivor's Guilt". On one hand, you are glad that you are going to leave the hospital, but you feel guilty that you get to leave before the others, and you feel even guiltier for feeling relief that you are leaving before the others. It's a pretty vicious cycle of self-loathing.

So kudos to the producers for these.
  • Expanding on the first point, the relationship between Koyori and Aono also explains further why Mana is taking such good care of Yorito. Their common bond is that their sisters have been hospitalised, and while Koyori and Aono takes care of each other, Mana helps to take care of Yorito. Quite a complicated web to explain, but easy to understand once you get it.

It also diffuses the need for Mana to develop a romantic interest in Yorito, something which Mana's co-worker seems to point out during the restaurant scene. Mana is simply a very good friend of Yorito, and there is basis for why this is so.
  • It still amuses me whenever Mayuko bosses Takeshi around. Takeshi's comment made me wonder though... why the need to hurry now? Back in Ep02, he said that there was no need to worry, and yet he is worrying now? Did a deadline appear or something?
  • Aono has problems with vending machines too, but instead of kicking them, she sits down and pout, which is quite a cute image.
  • The dynamic between Koyori and Aono is beautiful. At first glance, it would appear that Koyori is solely the carer, but upon further examination, it will be apparent to all that the relationship is two-way and not one-way. As much as Koyori tries to get Aono to open up more, Aono is also there to comfort Koyori in her times of need; because as mature as Koyori tries to act, she is still a child at heart.
  • All the main cast have voiced the "previews". Does this mean we will get real previews now?
I am giving this episode 09/10, because of the characterisations. I was tempted to give it a perfect 10, but I think I will hold back a bit first. None of the scenes were pointless. This is something that is very good. They all had meaning, and helped to contribute to the overall storyline.

Looking forward to the next episode.

Cheers.