View Single Post
Old 2012-10-25, 02:33   Link #31
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
We've also forgotten to mention the doctor starting smoking. It's a common after-sex move in television shows, movies, and real life.
As for the whole lesbian angle, maybe they're setting up a 'doctor tries to make a move on Akane' angle for drama and/or comedic reasons?
I'm kinda doubting ogon_bat's sexual predator theory, though. The two women might just be having a fling to release their frustrations if they're not a couple.
At this stage, any number of speculative theories are possible. I don't deny the signs point heavily towards sex but, as of now, I'm sceptical that we're supposed to make much out of it other than something kinky very probably happened. If the scene is there simply to titillate a certain segment of the audience, well, it has clearly worked. But if it's that all it's supposed to do, colour me a cloudy shade of disappointed. I expect something more mature from the production staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadratic View Post
As for the latent criminal status, the only thing I've seen established is those in the working sector are treated lowly. If you don't choose to work, then you're only other 'choice' is isolation (and/or "treatment"?). I'm also that guessing latent criminals who choose to work can only work in areas designed to capture other criminals. So they'll probably never have a chance to go back to a normal life, even if it is possible.
That's clearly supposed to be the central theme of this story. More to the point, as many have already observed, we are asked to imagine a world where the psychological potential for "criminal" behaviour is treated like a disease. The underlying assumption is that you can statistically determine the biological/psychological traits of criminal behaviour (which naturally raises the very important question of who decided what is criminal). And, rather than to accept on faith that an individual can reliably exercise his free will to curb his biological/psychological tendency towards criminal behaviour, the state takes pre-emptive measures to ensure it will never come to that stage.

That's not unlike how we deal with the threat of highly contagious disease. We track down the vectors, isolate them from other people, and keep treating them until they are either cured, or die of illness.

Hence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya View Post
On a side note I found strange that they used the medicine symbol for the CID, but checking this out, it isn't, it seems to be a caduceus, ...a recognized symbol of commerce and negotiation, two realms in which balanced exchange and reciprocity are recognized as ideals ... things got out of hand
Arya actually made a very astute observation, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the symbol of the CID is adapted from the caduceus symbol commonly used in North America as a logo for medicine (of course, readers are free to disagree with me; I'm not insisting that my view is 100 per cent correct).

And, if you find such deterministic approaches to controlling people contemptible, you can take it up with eminent scientists like Richard Dawkins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
Dawkins has spoken on the subject. I'm not sure I fully agree with him, but provocative nonetheless:

TL;DR…

Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?