View Single Post
Old 2012-12-02, 16:05   Link #172
Vsin
Aldracity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
snip
This is basically my criticism of most of Fairy Dance. Lyfa/Sugu is completely irrelevant to the plot and only exists to be a love interest that inevitably gets shattered. For crying out loud, I even consider Silica and Lizabeth to be more plot-relevant because at least their interactions with Kirito helped define Kirito's personality. Lyfa/Sugu's actions and reactions basically don't have any effect on the plot until the not-so-surprising plot twist.

I have nothing against the whole incest romance thing. What I have a problem with is how utterly pointless the developments are, especially when the overarching plot is supposed to have absolutely nothing to do with Sugu, except for Sugu basically shoehorning herself into the plot.

Seriously, take Sugu and Lyfa right out of Fairy Dance and ask yourself what changes. Admittedly this question is easier to answer when the arc actually finishes, but if you ask me you can completely remove Lyfa/Sugu from the arc and nothing of value is lost. It's really, really telling when even A1, despite their extremely faithful adaptation, chooses to remove AN ENTIRE CHAPTER. Because that chapter is nothing but more dramatic irony tension and a plot setup that doesn't bear fruit until a side story.
Vsin is offline   Reply With Quote