View Single Post
Old 2006-05-16, 02:11   Link #60
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by larcencielle
Well I personally prefer IM over Azumanga b/c Azumanga IMO, had a lot of more "childish" humour.
For example, there's that girl (forgot the name ) in Azumanga, who is really active in the class and excels in sports, and personally none of the her actions or dialogues made me laugh at all. I thought they were very immature and childish and tries too hard to make the viewer laugh
On the other hand, there is IM with lots of implied humours. For example, the wild girl (forgot her name too ) is occasionally shown lying on the floor, face down, and with a slipper mark or shoes mark on the back of her head. From the slipper or shoes mark, we can see that some1 hit her b/c of her "wrong" actions and she's now lying down on the floor. This implication requires two or more thinking process, and IMO a lot more mature than Azumanga which is just a brainless march of comedy.
I'm not tryin to flame this subject or anything but I like mature comedies and IM (although the characters are childs and NOT lolis) appeals more to me than Azumanga. Besides there are superb voice actors in IM ^^
There are superb VAs in both shows. Asakawa Yuu can do more with a grunt than some million dollar actors can muster in live-action.
I'm not really clear on which girl "was really active in class and excels in sports" - I suppose you're thinking of the hyperactive one who sucked at sports. True, some of her antics were lame but pretty true to life (annoying) and if you watched carefully you'd see that basically she was going to grow up to be *just like* Ms. Yukari (their often annoying English teacher). The other two girls who excelled at sports were Sakaki (running) and Kusaga (swimming). One of the nicest qualities of AzuDa is that it treated the characters like real people - none were really stereotypical, only superficially so (e.g. Sakaki, who was "cool" but had a sweet spot for kitties and stuffed animals or Osaka the slow spacey girl who belied the Osakan stereotype). The source material (4 panel comics) sort of forced the anime into a sequence of set pieces but that simply reminded me of the old Peanuts or Calvin&Hobbes formats. A lot of Osaka's material and frequent background comedy activity also required implicit understanding so I have to call the label "brainless march of comedy" a bit much. A more accurate barb would be to call AzuDa "nostalgic" as it brings forth "memories of things that may have never been".

IM and AzuDa are both good examples of slightly different forms of "sliceoflife" comedy. I don't see any particular need to step on one to compliment the other. I enjoyed both.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has found a pre-order source for IM or at least a specific release date. I had thought it was June but I'm not finding any vendors offering it for pre-order yet.