View Single Post
Old 2012-08-26, 18:41   Link #228
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
And for the record:
I don't think "attacking someone on a professional level" is necessary, and saying you "hope she stops getting hired [so much]" sure seems like ill-will. To me, there's nothing constructive about this sort of commentary; it's purely self-serving. If anything, I think that itself is unprofessional; I'd like to see people raise the bar a bit. Again, mostly because I think it makes *us* look like smarter, more reasonable people, and not just emotional fanboys on a bashing spree.
How is it ill will that I'd prefer other writers to get work over her? It is a self-serving statement. That's obvious. Why wouldn't I say what I desire or want from the industry?

The thread here is a discussion of this writer. My opinion is that she's overexposed and doesn't deserve all the work she gets because I don't think she's been doing that good of a job over the last year. The fact that I don't want to see her in all the shows coming out is not me bearing ill will for her, it's me hoping for the best quality product for myself.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I suppose this is where you call me entitlted .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It's not insight. I'm just making the assumption that what you actually say is what you actually mean. Given the way you argued about her character, it seemed pretty genuine. But fine I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Incidently the article totoum quoted is also an example of taking things out of context. Do you actually know what she's reffering to when she talks about overdoing it? She was actually talking about character interpretation and staying loyal to the source. She's also talking about how it's neccessary to restrain yourself but somehow that got interpreted to mean her highest priority is to overdo it. Well it isn't.
Yes she was talking about trying to restrain herself, but that snippet gave me the impression that she had a hard time doing just that. And this for an adaption. When it's an original story, where my main criticisms of her lie, what does that mean for the writing?

EDIT: The issue here Haak is that I took somebody's red herring and use it as a discussion point. That was my negligence. Whether I meant what I said or didn't isn't the point. What am I saying now is that is not where I wanted to take this discussion and that was my error.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote