View Single Post
Old 2008-01-28, 01:55   Link #42
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei View Post
We bought R2s and laser discs for probably 90% of the shows we subtitled, not counting the ones that were airing on TV. Does that count? We're talking thousands of dollars worth of LDs and DVDs.
"We", hm?

I mean, does that count? You tell me, since _you're_ the one who has been attaching the strings. It's been an interesting observation for me that many (if not most) of those people who do so tend to make the rules for OTHERS and don't practice themselves what they preach. Therefore I always find it interesting to ask them about that.

If you want my _personal_ opinion - yep, that does count. The goal should be to encourage the fans to financially support the anime industry by buying their products, in return for their work for our entertainment. I'm just doubtful that it's helpful to assume a _demanding_ stance like this, but that's just my personal opinion either. On a legal-technical angle, what we fansubbers/rippers are doing is a form of piracy, and based on this I feel hesitant to act like we have any kind of authority over how our creations are being used. But all this is drifting away into a different kind of issue.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote