View Single Post
Old 2008-05-25, 17:49   Link #27
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Mercury (my dog) is a Pembroke Welsh corgi - apparently it's considered part of the style of the breed to have the tails cut short when they're puppies. Supposedly part of the reason was so that if these dogs were used in hunting, the tail wouldn't bash against foliage and generate more noise. Not sure how true that is, given that these types of dogs were primarily used as sheep-herding dogs (or so I heard). In Mercury's case I think they cut a bit too close, as he doesn't even have a stub!

As for avoiding people in pictures, there are three reasons. The first is that I'm a bit shy, and I'm always terrified that I'll make people uncomfortable by including them in a picture, or that they may try to bring some sort of legal action against me for taking a picture without their consent (I believe there are laws about that, but I'm not sure how strict they are). The second is that I'm not sure how to work with people in terms of angle, positioning, and timing. Partly as a result I prefer to avoid having people in the pictures as they might otherwise detract from the picture. The final reason is that, partly due to not being used to having people as subjects, my "photography eye" generally notices anything but people.

I do actually have a number of shots of my girlfriend and friends that could be considered artistic, but I'm not comfortable posting them here I suppose.