View Single Post
Old 2008-06-14, 01:37   Link #32
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by konstargirl View Post
The fish photography is beautiful. Say did you edited them or something, or you took those and then you edited them?

I think I ask this question but never got an answer. ><
Nope, all of the images here are untouched so far. In general I think most people would touch up their images. At the very least, many digital photographers crop out undesirable parts of the picture to give the image a more focused feel. When I found out just how often cropping occurs it was sort of like discovering that the tooth fairy isn't real I'd always thought that the cameras were good enough to let you get those types of shots, but for many cases I suppose it's not always possible. When I get around to posting some macro shots and telephoto shots I'll most likely be cropping a fair bit, too.

I will make note of it if I perform any post-processing to an image. Everything so far has been taken using the camera's internal processing (as well as JPEG compression; I generally don't take RAW (unprocessed) images). The only post-processing that I do is to resize the image and stamp my user alias onto the images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by escimo View Post
I'll see if I can come up with anything intelligent to say.

"The Grotesques"
Well... Not really nice to be honest. I kind of missed the point.

Museum in Monotone
Not bad. Though a neutral shade-scheme is not really my preference when shooting B/W. I tend to go quite low-key and exaggerate the contrast quite a bit. Play around with levels a bit and see how it comes out. By the way, did you desaturate it in photoshop or did you use a camera preset?
And thanks for the complements.
Thanks for the remarks. "The Grotesques" (the name of the art piece) didn't really have a point. It was a plate on a wall... not a whole lot to be done there I figured I'd try to focus in on a semi-interesting part of the artwork and see how it'd come out. Pretty bland, I didn't think it was so hot either.

And thanks for the comments on use of monotone. Now that you mention it, you're right - many of your images do play on contrast between very light and very dark areas. When I posted a month or two back about showing you a monotone picture this wasn't actually the one I had in mind. That'll be in the next batch, and is a bit more your style, I think.

As I mentioned just above to konstargirl I don't do post-processing; all of these were performed via the camera's settings. I think that when I uprade camera bodies I'll start using the RAW+JPEG option, just so that I have the ability to work with things a bit more. At this point I'm reaching the level where I may want to begin post-processing and make prints of some shots. Of course the RAWs take up tons of disk space. I'm not so worried about my CF card, I'm more worried that I won't be good about deleting RAWs that I'm not interested in and that I'll use up all of my disk space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
And as for getting the right angle with people; I think I remember seeing a series of photos that focused on close-ups of faces (can't remember where, though). It was mostly old people from the country, but I though the photos had an interesting idea as a whole.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, all the pics were B & W too!
At some point I'll experiment with it. Practice makes perfect, as they say. I'm sure that my girlfriend would be happy to model for me, but it's best to practice with a variety of people, too. I'm not sure who would be willing to...

Monotone with people photography makes things a lot easier, I think. You no longer have to worry about the lighting as much, or what color clothes the person was wearing, or if they have acne, and so on. All of those color issues can be fixed somewhat by manually post-processing the image, but monotone just makes it a lot simpler I'd hesitate to say that it's easier, though, because without color the focus of what you're capturing somewhat shifts.