View Single Post
Old 2008-06-18, 05:05   Link #36
escimo
Paparazzi

Once again really nice batch. I'm not such a huge fan of flower photography but they do provide a nice playground for for example macro photography.

Quote:
Grass
This was some reedy grass at the entrance to the gardens. It had interesting coloration and grew in clumps thick enough to fill the image frame. It's something you could get lost (in thought) in, so I thought it might make a nice desktop background.
I really like this, though it could maybe use a bit more contrast.

Quote:
Adrift
An example of strange things that can catch your eye when you have a camera in your hand. There was a small stream that flowed through the garden, and this leaf had gotten caught while flowing along it. Given that the focal point of the picture had more to do with the light playing on the water and its contrast against the solid leaf, I attempted to emulate escimo's monotone style and see how it came out. I'm actually not sure that I prefer the monotone version to the colored version (shown below in spoiler tags); feedback is much appreciated on this particular shot! Even if the color version is better, this might be my best monotone shot to date (which isn't saying much).
I'm really not sure which one I prefer. The contrast in the B/W version is very nice but actually color adds something to the picture. Maybe the tone of the leaf and the water are a bit too close to each other. Do you mind if I play around in Photoshop a bit with this one?

Quote:
The Sun and the Honeybee
Very nice. Good colors.

Quote:
The Climb
Throughout the garden there were a few arches with plants climbing along them. The plant here is a honeysuckle, which isn't the most exotic flower around. As a result it didn't get a picture dedicated to it alone.
I like the composition of this. Lighting is also very nice.

Quote:
Purple Distinction
Bokeh!
Nice use of depth of field. Brings out the actual subject really nicely. The flowers are quite small so less blur in the background would have made the photo look messy. Very nice.
escimo is offline   Reply With Quote