View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 19:32   Link #191
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachopvutru View Post
Speaking of upgrading/installing OSes and stuff, when I was about to reformat the whole of my other computer through Destructive Recovery (I have an HP-Compaq Presario PC, and the option was available through pressing F10 when the computer boots up). But when I pressed F10, nothing really happened... I'm trying to get my PC back to when-I-just-bought setting since on that computer, XP is crippling, and Ubuntu keeps getting freezes. (I think it's something about installing Ubuntu overriding the GRUB menu that allows me to access the recovery partition)
Usually the "factory reset" ability comes on a CD or DVD, and you'd need to boot from it. I know that some manufacturers have their systems come with two partitions, one of which contains recovery files. It's possible that the F10 thing you're thinking of would have utilized one of those recovery partitions, although I've never heard of that before. If it does work that way, then it'd explain why pressing F10 doesn't do anything (I presume you've formatted the entire system since you bought it).