View Single Post
Old 2013-01-22, 04:46   Link #125
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Who in this show is more concerned over their Psycho-Pass level than Gino is? And yet he didn't even flinch over the Director giving him classified information that could be dark and troubling.
Take note that Gino is an Inspector, and most other characters are either psychopaths, Enforcers, or Akane. I think it's safe to say that most of them are already on the far side of the system. Gino has good reason to be concerned over his Psycho-Pass level, imo.

Quote:
It's the lack of freedom that's burdensome, not freedom itself.

Do you think that Kagari never feels burdened by what the Sybil system did to him? Do you think that Tomomi never feels burdened by what the Sybil system did to him and his family?

The character in this show that strikes me as the least burdened is Akane. And she's the one who arguably enjoys the greatest degree of freedom of all of the characters in this show.
Freedom is well and good, but it also entails full responsibility for the consequences of the choices it presents. This is the burden the comes with freedom that many are unable to bear.

Quote:
On what basis do you call it arbitrary? The standards of "humanity" and "freedom" outlined on this thread are based on ones that were well-articulated and well-argued for. Entire nations have been founded upon such principles. If you look at the US Constitution, and the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and other such constitutions around the world, you will see substantial overlap there.

People living in modern 1st world countries tend to have a pretty good idea of what it means to be free. It's not arbitrary. It's been very carefully thought out, developed, and argued for over hundreds of years.
Just the fact that it was indeed thought of and shared among a large number of societies already makes it arbitrary. It's still perfectly possible for a society to arise which value such ideals even less. In such a case, why should we judge such societies through our own culture's context?

Quote:
It's quite possible to have a predominantly happy society that's also free. And the happiness of such a society is more real and meaningful because its a free society. People feel happiness over their own well-earned accomplishments and the outcomes of smart choices, not over what some machine directed them into. So speaking personally, I'm entirely comfortable taking sides on this issue.
It's impossible to create an entirely happy society while maintaining such standards of freedom. In fact, it would probably encourage inequality in the long run since a pyramid is probably the most stable economic model to encompass such a society. I'm not trying to say that it's worse, just that it has its own share of flaws as well.