Thread: Da Capo
View Single Post
Old 2003-12-13, 02:27   Link #173
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Apologies in advance for the length of this post.

I just figured I'd chime in to say how much I am loving this anime, especially the most recent episodes. I was enjoying the series a fair bit in it's "first half", but the second half has been really amazing so far.

It seems to me that a good way to watch the recent episodes would be to re-cut them into two parts: 16-18 and 19-21, main episodes only with no cuts or credits in between episodes. It just seems to me they flow so nicely together. Although I don't mind the side episodes, they definitely affect the story pacing as it gets more serious in the second half.

(Minor spoilers, in case you haven't seen the recent fansub releases...)
Spoiler:

Episode 19 in particular is one of my favorites, and so I wanted to add some fuel to the discussion about the ending...
Spoiler:

I was also thinking the other day about whether or not this anime and others like it would ever get licensed and officially translated... which is, of course, very doubtful. But, I also wonder if anyone could truly do this series justice in an "North American" English sub/dub. For example, both Nemu and Sakura constantly call Junichi "nii-san" and "onii-chan" respectively, but how would you translate that? Surely, you wouldn't replace all the instances with "brother", as that would just sound strange I would think. There is a sort of careful balance in Da Capo, with two potential relationships being on the edge of what some consider wrong, and I don't know if that balance could ever get properly represented in North American culture. (Even this very thread can serve as some sort of an example of the kinds of cultural prejudices brought to the table.) On the one hand, I would love to purchase an official DVD set if it had English subs in the same style as the fansubs, but I find the thought of a North American "adaptation" of the series almost frightening... which is why I'm sure it won't happen. This is why I'm especially thankful for the fansub community; it gives me an opportunity to watch excellent anime that I would likely never get a chance to see otherwise.

Anyways, this anime is very touching and beautiful, especially in the second part. Not quite as sad as Kanon, but definitely right up there. I'm loving it, and can't wait to watch the rest of the series. Apologies again for the length.