View Single Post
Old 2010-03-28, 18:23   Link #237
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashZeStampeedo View Post
Heh.. another interesting conversation
I like these interesting discussions. It brings life back into these forums and fills my desire for more Spice and Wolf related stuff

Also, a lot of your points seemed to focus around Holo as a harvest deity. Whilst thats what she is right now, I somehow doubt that's all she is or can be, because she only effectively became a harvest deity as far as we know, after making a pact with the village. Now whether being a god that pact is simply an agreement of honour or something stronger we dont know (that said her proud, wise wolf character aspect would likely lead her loathe to break an agreement anyway).

She may not even need a grain-based substance, it may simply be she needs some form of life to bind to (hence the sacrifice of grain, grain representing new life [the seed of life] or blood, blood being seen as a source of raw life by many cultures, hence where Vampires came from!) or the need for the grain may simply be a limitation imposed by her pact with the village, you're right we know she's terrified of being alone, she may simply have chose Lawrence because it was easier/less risky/less scary because he had the grain already. Sometimes convenience is wonderful, and Holo can so definately be a little whimsical!
As he has visited Pasloe before, Holo may well also have had a chance to watch Lawrence before, and thus even though she didnt really know his personality or him, she knew the SORT of person he was, and thus he was likely to be open to bargaining in return for companionship and possible boons. That he was a reasonably lonely soul himself, and already had wheat this time really was a convenient bonus. Lawrence is also a pragmatist, the books make explicit reference to how she hates being treated as different (in awe/fear etc) again possibly because of how alone it leaves her feeling, she may have believed because of his pragmatic, lonely nature as a merchant, Lawrence would be more likely NOT to treat her differently and actually treat her as a person/being, something she deeply desires.

I'd also agree there's a strong possibility Holo doesn't need anything to survive, however the pact may have imposed limits on her corporeal form, and whilst she is unsure as to the exact status of the pact, or its annulment, she is playing it safe. Given her fear of being alone, an existance as an unmanifested spirit with no contact with any living thing is probably abhorent to her. Again the fact she knows this grain is there is almost a safety net and personal comfort.
Whilst she told Lawrence what might happen if the grain was lost, theres a distinct possibility she was exaggerating as a personal safeguard. Holo is after all, much as she hates it, an extremely lonely and vulnerable individual, at least in part (after all one of the reasons she is such a great character is because she is so debateable and multifacetted!).

If the pact is ever completely broken, I think theres a possibility Holo would show a much wider degree of powers and capabilities (dependant on how aware she is of her own capabilities, IIRC its implied she left the north to see the world when she was VERY young as far as a spirit/deity goes), and also a distinct possibility she would no longer feel the need for either the grain, nor need the grain to transform, the pact simply imposes a limitation/control on her at current. Her implied origins, Scandinavia/Northern Germany aren't exactly known for thier grain production after all, plus except for the pact, what tie would a wolf goddess usually have to a harvest? Wolves are more usually seen as hunters or symbols of the power of nature, or natural beauty, rather than anything directly related to the harvest?
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote