View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 21:14   Link #187
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I don't think the ending of the show is either tragic or sad for Noe. Sure, it's bittersweet that her romance didn't work out, but Shinichirou gave her a much more valuable gift: he brought back her tears. He was her sort of guardian angel that helped her through a very tough point in her life, and set her free from the weight that was holding her down. Now, thanks to him, she's able to make real friends and look forward in life. So the ending of the show is actually liberating for Noe, and in a way that's much more profound and meaningful than if she had continued to lean on Shinichirou as a sort of crutch. (It's pretty common for someone going through a rough time to think they're falling in love with the person who seems to be saving them from it, and Shinichirou's actions certainly didn't help in that regard. It implied that he was saving her because he loved her, but his true feelings lied elsewhere all along.)

Anyway, in short, I think all three of the heroines of True Tears had a good ending, but I think understanding/accepting Noe's happiness takes a little bit of a broader view of what really matters for her going forward.
That's a pretty unique point of view, and very valid one too. It might elevate it above your "standard" romance.

When we typically think of romance, we think of "winning" and "losing" as if there are goals. It's only natural since we'd all love to see the fruits of our characters' efforts go somewhere but then I realized there's more to life than to get together with someone.

But love doesn't work that way. It's not about who is superior or who "deserves" it. It just happens. If we simplified TT down to "Noe lost, Hiromi won" we neglect to see how much they gained. We neglect the entire narrative. Noe had overcome her own inability to have tears after her grandmother's death, and isn't that more important than gaining the love of someone that had his heart elsewhere? Would not a love based on this just lead to more misery as it already did?

And yea, she could finally become her own person and get someone better than Shin. This might just be a case of losing a battle but winning the war.

But seeing her in crutches was painful, I must say.

It is without doubt that I see this anime in a better light since my completing of it.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote