View Single Post
Old 2012-02-15, 14:45   Link #27879
UsagiTenpura
Artist

Concerning blonde hair/blue eyes vs everyone else's traits.

Battler in arc 1 when he sees the portrait of Beatrice comments that it could very well be their grandmother in her youth, if it wasn't of her caucasian traits. Namely the blue eyes and the blonde hair. Still even if you remove those, it's said that the model in the portrait is having caucasian traits rather then asian ones.

Italians can be blue eyed/blonde haired but it's true that sicilian tend not to be.

However Renall's point about her being blonde and "who cares" about the rest... I sorta think is not an entirely wrong point.... at least necessarily. The thing is that ultimately Beatrice is a "role in a story" that "serves a purpose" and I think those are more important then her genetics (in fact IMO the only sorta reliable account of any Beatrice is Rosa's encounter - weren't of that I'd doubt if she really existed). However the idea that I take of that is more or less why I always thought that Beato 1 didn't ever love Kinzo : Real Beatrice never loved or was even aware of Dante's feelings for her. Actually Dante barely ever saw her. It seems the most important point of Beatrice symbol is the logic of unrequited love and effect that changes all their life.

The real Dante might not have been able to "use" Beatrice the way he used her if she didn't die so young either. "The character Beatrice" (in Dante's story) is that - a character he shaped pretty much as he wanted.

This seems to fit with Kinzo. Would Beatrice 1 even go along with the claims that she's a "Golden Witch" outside of a total joke? I sorta doubt so.

Think Beatrice name more then anything implies a form of unrequited love and well all three Beatrices died before the man who loved her. Tho in Battler's case I guess it's debatable how much he romantically loved her, and overall the situation seems mostly inverted this time, where "Beatrice" is "Dante" and "Battler" is "Beatrice".

So hell for all we know, perhaps Beatrice 1's name wasn't even Beatrice but Kinzo, probably having read the Divine Comedy, felt his relation to a certain woman was akin to Dante's relation with Beatrice, in the same way that he did whatever he wanted with everything else about her.
UsagiTenpura is offline   Reply With Quote