View Single Post
Old 2004-05-25, 22:21   Link #5
Melazoma

Send a message via AIM to Melazoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by avmoghe
Why even make a dub? Unless you're visually impaired, subtitles are the way to go. I've yet to find a single dub that carried across the emotions and tone of the japanese voice actors.
Therein lies the problem--people are lazy, especially the paying kind.
Working an anime-stocked(and I pushed for it, hard ) Blockbuster for two years has taught me that most customers prefer dubbing, be it Japanese anime or other foreign films. There were DVDs that came only with a French track(for instance, Amelie), I neglected to brief the dub-preferring customers of that fact and I caught hell because they expected a dub on a foreign film DVD. Much the same goes to anime, save a few rabid subtitlists that I can still remember
When asked why they want dubs and lose the original voices, those same customers reply "I don't want to read the subtitles."
And really, pretty much as a result of the above laziness, the best way to expand the anime market in the United States is via dubbing. Whether you like it or not, there is a steady demand for it. Laziness? Arrogance? Eh who cares as long as I get my uncut anime DVDs with the original Japanese track and subtitles