View Single Post
Old 2012-01-04, 15:56   Link #308
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
I think you're severely over-playing both a) the "uniquely Japanese appeal" of the show (the franchise is quite popular here on this English anime forum, no less -- who do you think the target audience is if not anime fans?), and b) the extent of the "localization" you think either Crunchyroll or a home media licensor would have to do to make it palatable (and the perception that whatever translation you did see was somehow not being "localized", or was more "pure").

Aniplex has said in the past that licensing negotiations for Bakemonogatari were on-going, and the fact that Nisemonogatari is streaming is likely a good sign. I don't think there's any particular reason why it wouldn't be released in some form (whether it's the form people want notwithstanding).
Well I don't consider it more "pure" but CR does have a really hard tendency to over-localize which I said before I'm OK with even if I'm not a fan of some of their decisions. And yes, I am fully aware Bakemonogatari has a large following amongst the more "experienced" anime watchers outside of Japan but even that doesn't make the show much easier to follow since it does rely quite a bit on culture-specific jokes and plays with the Japanese language.

I will however concede that I may be overly negative in analyzing the marketability of Bakemonogatari outside Japan since I've been know to be overly negative before.