View Single Post
Old 2009-08-29, 23:54   Link #123
janfive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotank View Post
Hmm... I had much to disagree with that 2ch ranking list. Back when I saw it, I got the strong impression that people were voting songs based on the series they came out of. Frankly, no matter how you put it, Cruel Angel's Thesis is simply not a song which deserves the top spot. The melody is average, vocalization uninspiring, and orchestration bland. The fact that it belonged to one of the most influential animes of the last decade shouldn't give it a free ride to the top. Maybe I'm missing the point of the thread and that poll, but I feel we should judge music on the music alone.
It's not only 2ch that lists Cruel Angel's Thesis at the top. It's either no. 1 or near the top spot in most of the top of lists I encountered, most of which are Japanese-based, probably giving merit to the argument that the series lifted the status of the song. In western countries, where all things anime are not as ubiquitous, the alternative to Thesis as No.1 song is Tank! from Cowboy Bebop, whose accompanying soundtrack is heaped with praises from music critics. If I were to rank the top song today, I'd be stuck with the problem of which of these songs to place at #1.

Extra: Found another youtube clip counting down the best anime songs by a Japanese TV station. The broadcast looks old which pretty much explains the absence of Cruel Angel's Thesis at or near the top. 13 of the 15 songs in the video are in the hall of fame.
Spoiler for video:

Here are my inductions into the Hall of Fame for Week 24:

"My Heart iidasenai, Your Heart tashikametai" by The Goddess Family Club
Aa! Megamisama! (OAV) Opening Theme [1993]

suggested by christinemarie
Spoiler:

"Dango Daikazoku" by Chata
Clannad (TV) Ending Theme #1 (episodes 1-23) [2007]

suggestedn by DJLowrider
Spoiler:

"Blurry Eyes" by L'Arc~en~Ciel
DNAČ ~Dokokade Nakushita Aitsu no Aitsu~ (TV) Opening Theme [1994]

suggested by -Kh-
Spoiler:

"Sayonara Solitaire" by Saeko Chiba
Chrono Crusade (TV) Ending Theme [2003]

suggested by WOoOzZy
Spoiler:

"♥Lonely in Gorgeous♥" by Tommy february6
Paradise Kiss (TV) Opening Theme [2005]

suggested by NerdyOtaku
Spoiler:

"Gekkouka" by Janne Da Arc
Black Jack (TV) Opening Theme #1 (episodes 1-26) [2004]

Spoiler:

"Tooi Nioi" by YO-KING
Gintama (TV) Opening Theme #2 (episodes 25-49) [2006]

Spoiler:

"Asu e no Brilliant Road" by Angela
Uchuu no Stellvia (TV) Opening Theme [2003]

Spoiler:

"Realize" by Nami Tamaki
Kidou Senshi Gundam SEED (TV) Opening Theme #4 (episodes 41-50) [2003]

Spoiler:

"Ketsui no Asa ni" by AQUA TIMEZ
Brave Story (movie) Ending Theme [2006]

Spoiler:

Last edited by janfive; 2011-02-03 at 22:37.
janfive is offline   Reply With Quote