View Single Post
Old 2009-02-14, 16:39   Link #14
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by frubam View Post
(ex: you push a box. As long as the force(in this case, you) push the box, it keeps moving. Once the force stops, the box doesn't move)
Someone needs to get caught up on 17th century physics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaneDragon View Post
The coin is a solid object, with an existence independent of Mikoto's power. Regardless of whether Mikoto's power is still accelerating it, its speed and mass at the moment of negation are real. If Touma could block a railgun coin, then he'd be able to stop the iron bars, since it's all the same principle. If the latter is not the case, then the former was a mistake on the part of the Railgun manga. But looking back over the chapter, Touma never actually had the chance to try stopping the bars with his right hand, did he. He was too busy getting pelted with rocks, slammed in the chin, and so forth. He thought to himself that he couldn't, though, so I'm going with that.
The problem with assuming that he can nullify "momentum caused by psychic powers" is that it implies some weird power to nullify the indirect effects of things. If he can nullify momentum, why can't he nullify displacement and make the objects teleport back to where they started? Why can't he nullify the damage he takes from being zapped by electricity? It becomes very weird once you let him nullify indirect effects. My take on it is that the manga writer simply didn't really understand what a railgun was, so I choose to ignore that part.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote