View Single Post
Old 2009-09-21, 11:31   Link #70
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Read through the four pages.... Shinbo's been pulling this "omg, the animation outsourcing sucks and we're past deadline -> goto SLIDESHOW effects of scenery" since Tsukuyomi Moon Phase (or even earlier). Some of the Slideshow cuts are arty and originally intended (like the freeze frames in the Sayora Zetsubo Sensei series or some of Hidamari Sketch interstitial moments or the text frame snaps in this series)... but a LOT of it results from the "omg..." effect above.

For a while some people (including me) just attributed it to terrible luck in outsourcing.... but with this series I've come to the hypothesis that the director Shinbo and/or his staff simply massively sucks at managing production schedules and routinely put themselves in this disaster mode. I've worked too many engineering projects where the "manager" inevitably created a crisis through poor skills and then "saved the day" with wild half-assed solutions that really didn't work for the long term -- and was often christened a "hero" for it. There's also the inflated ego aspect of this sort of character and we see that too.

I'm thinking Shinbo is that sort of guy at this point. Its a shame because they give him some wonderful titles to munch up. It *does* get fixed in the DVDs... so they seem to have time to FIX the screwups but not to AVOID them in the first place.

(Tsukuyomi Moon Phase, Paniponidash, Negima!?, Hidamari Sketch series, Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei series, and now the Bakemonogatari series .... have I missed any?)

Quote:
are ALL shaft productions this terrible or just ones with this sninbo guy directing? Id like a list or something so i can avoid any of his older stuff since im playing catch up on anime from the last few years, both fansub and comercial stuff. I can find production of shaft studio shows but again, is it EVERYTHING or just the stuff from that guy?
I wouldn't avoid all these series -- many of them are wonderful. But I would seek out the DVD versions rather than the broadcast versions. Shinbo has done well with the Negima OVAs and SZS seems to thrive on this technique.

Shaft itself has a bit of a reputation for slipshod broadcast versions of series but my experience has been mixed (some good some not-so-good).