View Single Post
Old 2011-07-19, 04:04   Link #14
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

I don't think so. He likes Japan well enough, and the name doesn't really strike me as a jab.

Anyho, since I had my Internet go out on Sunday and wasn't any better yesterday, I had the perfect pretense to just get on with reading the entire 800 and so pages.

General comments (nothing spoilerish):

-It certainly started off feeling a whole lot like A feast for Crows, but by the end it felt more like A Game of Thrones.

-I'm sort of lost as to what to say about the events that transpired in the 5th book. A lot of stuff had happened, for sure, but I can't say that a lot of it was important or really advanced the plot from the end of Feast by much.

-In fact, I would say that at least the events in the 4th book at least had for certain POV advanced the plot, albeit in several different directions, here while we have a slightly more unified central routes to take (3 to be exact) it feels like they don't really amount to anything ...

Well do a character overview rather than a chapter by chapter later on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Spoiler for question:
Spoiler for :

Quote:
Yes, I agree that chapter 6 is a slow chapter. Unfortunately there are a few chapters like that in the book. Sometime the strict PoV style of the story telling is a hindrance rather than a bless. To tell the story of what's happening, Martin must have someone there in the heat of things at that particular time, most time it gives the story more flesh and blood, other times we get what kind of food they ate or other useless space filling stuff.
The problem is that we already had 3-4 books of build up and what not for these characters, so it doesn't help to have additional build up as well here.

Also, I have to say that a lot of this book felt very filler-ish. I mean

Spoiler for :
Quote:
I read the book by the characters in the order who I likes most, so Arya first, then Dany, then Bran, then Tyrion and Jon, and the rest in the end. After the main characters I really have very little motivation for some of the side characters, especially since I know what happened to them in the end in some other character's story. That's the disadvantage of the order that I choose, but still I think Martin could cut some part out.
I think Martin should've cut a lot out. The Ironborn and Drone PoV's for start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooral View Post
Spoiler for for those who hadn't finished ADWD book:
Spoiler for :
Quote:
Spoiler for :

Speaking of repetitive, was I the only one who thought that someone was going to say that Words are Wind is their house words at one point from how many times that phrase is mentioned?
Quote:
Spoiler for :
Quote:
Spoiler for :