View Single Post
Old 2008-12-16, 09:27   Link #1760
Jimmy C

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Normally, had they not busted the line enough people actually start auditing, that's fine.
You're the only one who's auditing. I'd say they did pretty well, otherwise I wouldn't be able to hold out against your arguments here for so long.

Quote:
During which others shoot. Teamwork.
"The others" have more rapid attack spells. They can keep shooting regardless.

Quote:
Wasn't she only a Sergeant? Anyway, a sergeant isn't what one thinks when he thinks "officer".
You're splitting hairs here, and I recall that Sargeants are "non-commissioned officers" aren't they? The point is, she's GF personnel, Arf at this time is "retired". Had she actually been a GF trooper, what makes you think she'd be assigned to a unit "near" RF6 anyway?

Quote:
So we are now trading off possible complexity on the limiter system for definite complexity on the familiar system.
I don't get how changing the energy allocation as stipulated on the contract from a percentage to an actual number is increasing complexity. I want to be clear that I mean the contract is in terms of "master supplies x units of energy to familiar" instead of "master supplies x% of her energy to familiar" all along. Therefore, changing the allocation just means setting a new number. And for the record, creating a familiar is complex, which is why mages rarely use it if there's a better alternative to getting what they want done.

Quote:
Sure, her adopted daughter gets kidnapped and Fate gets to face off two enemies that are more or less in her class. Uh... she doesn't need help? Are you sure?
Given how easily she swatted them once she got serious in ep24, yes.

Quote:
Why is it not the standard?
Like I said, few mages use limiters, fewer still have familiars. You want to insist that every high-ranking mage get a familiar whether they want to or not?

Quote:
I meant that allegorically.
With you it's sometimes hard to tell, given your insistence on exact numbers whenever possible. You seem certain that it's possible to distinguish the LC output to the familiar and that it's possible to wrap the limiter over everything but that output, I'm not convinced.

Quote:
Assemble them in a cluster, and run for the field in a group. This should make this convoy easier to cover
Unfortunately, it takes even longer to wait for everyone to assemble. Then, since everyone is moving at the same pace, the trip will take longer than everyone making for the field at their best speed. Worse, they'll all be bunched at the stairs now as they slowly make their way down. Then, do they wait until everyone's down and clustered again before going into the field? All that will take longer than the 10 minutes you said they lasted against Jail's forces.

Quote:
in fact, it might be less coverage than defending the building.
Except that, now that everyone is in the open, all the drones can concentrate their attacks to overwhelm Shamal, Zafira and VIce. Otto, Deed, Lutecia and Garyuu can join in the fun too.

Quote:
Remember that Otto and Deed didn't even come out until the defenders were heavily attrited.
Weren't you the one who said sound the evac when Otto and Deed show up? If they didn't show up until the attack was well underway, wouldn't it be too late to evac already? And just because we did see them earlier, doesn't mean they weren't there earlier to take advantage of just such a move.

Quote:
Get Shamal to cover them as they sprint for the field, and there's every chance everyone would get there in one piece.
Sprinting and assembling to head for the field are mutually exclusive. I showed what happens when everyone sprints for the field as best the can when the alarm sounds in the previous post. Then, I showed what happens when they choose to assemble first instead above.

Quote:
How about choosing a sim scenario without a "basement"?
Like I said, what if the "ground floor" of the building you're in is in reality a bit below the surface of the field? What happens when the field dies suddenly?

Quote:
The attack on the HQ occurred near simultaneously with the attack on the RF6 HQ. And of course GF HQ wasn't destroyed.
If that was what you were using as evidence for the duration of the attack, it doesn't say a thing about how long Shamal and Zafira lasted. Got anything better? Else I have to insist, we don't know how long they lasted against Jail's forces.

Quote:
They were swimming enough in funds to have the field.
Just because they got 50 million credits (for example) to build the field, doesn't mean they get an additional 200 mil to wrap a defensive fortress around it. The field occupies much more area than the base. Spending on all kinds of projects would increase dramatically if it were that easy to get extra funds. On the other hand, they might have an extra 10mil to build an armored shelter under their building. That does appear to be the case.

Quote:
How about implementing basic security measures to prevent Otto and Deed from just pushing OFF?
It's a training field, why would it need extra security for a simple OFF switch? That's like asking why Trek's holodeck doesn't have password protection or voice verification, etc, on its OFF switch.

Quote:
they'll know Jail has inside information and plan on that basis?
Who said anything about them knowing that Jail has inside info?

Quote:
And how much inside information would Jail have on RF6 anyway - the members are specially picked, and not allied to Jail's nominal buddies Regius & HC, so getting agent intelligence seems a bit thin.
I'm sure the plans for RF6's base and defense systems are filed away somewhere in the TSAB's bureaucracy. Unless there's some reason for it to be classified higher than the usual TSAB bases, it wouldn't be too hard for Jail's backers in the Bureau to get their hands on them and pass them to him.

Quote:
I didn't say it is.
Yes you did. Everyone else considers damage to the concrete to be for dramatic purposes. You're the only one who insists that it means Mid concrete is weak.

Quote:
Remember that my concept is mostly to use the sheer size of the field to create effective concealment.
Concealment that can instantly disappear at the push of a button or when the power's cut. And the entire field is a lot of ground to cover, where will Shamal and Zafira be defending? The whole place? That's larger than RF6's base proper, they'll probably fall even faster trying to hold such a large area. And if they only hold a small area within the field, it tell their enemies where everyone is.

Quote:
Umm, and is there an advantage to doing all this instead of just pumping out a bit of pseudomatter?
There's a HUGE difference better pumping out a bit of pseudomatter to make a BJ for a mage and "a bit" of pseudomatter enough to make a few city blocks. If the TSAB had that kind of technology, they don't need to make physical buildings anymore. Just get a piece of land, a generator and presto! A mansion, or a multistorey office block, or a stadium, anything you need, whenever you need it! RF6 could have used one to build its base and transform it into a fortress when it came under attack. In addition, any damage could be instantly repaired after the battle.

Quote:
Remember that Erio was standing on the bridge, so you need something to support it.
Trek uses forcefields, I don't see why the Bureau can't do the same. It'd be different from the usual combat forcefields but I'm sure they can manage.

Quote:
Yet Midchildran Spells to hold people generally don't allow free movement - they are binds.
Depends on where and how many binds you wrap on the person. Also, remember how Nanoha held Tia after she blasted her in ep9? Something similar but able to change its resistance to movement dynamically would be quite satisfactory for the purpose.
It may sound complicated, but it's more plausible than large-scale pseudomatter generation based on what's shown in the series.

Quote:
But if I can't find anything for "more", I'll be forced to concede they did everything they could.
So far, you're not convincing me that the "more" you propose are possible or will make enough of a difference to matter. Maybe the deployments at GFHQ can be tweaked some (and not to the point where it would deny Jail's objectives), but the one at RF6 was the best possible.

Quote:
All they had to do was remember the basic advantage of concentration of force, or even buddy tactics.
She was back with the 108th, get it through your head! Should they think she wouldn't have concentration of force or buddy tactics with her unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
Which is why I didn't bother to answer those guys who demanded that visual data is 100.00% accurate before it is used.
Yet, the way you calculate all these power values, distances and concrete strengths, you act as if you're assuming the visual data is 100% accurate and usable. That seems to be the only way we can consider your numbers to be in any way accurate.