View Single Post
Old 2004-11-16, 19:19   Link #57
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
If you know anything about the US land, we CAN be self sufficent in oil if we start digging for our Shael rocks in the Midwest. Heck we have so much Oil in Alaska to last us another 100 years. Then of course all of our drilling in the Pacific. I'll just trust Bush on this one, where he claimed that Saddam had WMD. Oil is a part of it, but I'll just say "Manifest Destiny"
Not true, even the most optimistic estimate I've seen gives a ten year supply at most. Some environmental groups claim as little as a 6 month supply. The truth is probably about a 5 year supply, based on the approximate average.
As long as we are dependent on oil, we will always be dependent on foreign oil. There simply isn't enough in the US itself. Though we do have an abudance of coal, that would last 400 years if a cheap, efficient way to convert it into oil was developed. There are methods, but as far as I know they are too expensive and complex to do on a large scale.

As for manifest destiny, in a thousand years history books will show a map of this era that will have the US spread across most of the planet, based on the location of our military bases. Isn't enough to kow that school children a thousand years from now will think we ruled most of the planet without actually doing so? Why go through the trouble of actually trying to rule it when we'll get the credit anyway?
maybe...

Last edited by Kamui4356; 2004-11-16 at 19:32.
Kamui4356 is offline   Reply With Quote