Thread: Licensed Cross game
View Single Post
Old 2012-06-07, 21:31   Link #3427
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I just marathoned Cross Game last week and have to say it's one of the most entertaining anime shows I've ever watched. I don't have any deeper insights into the show, but I would like to discuss Salva's question about Aoba slapping Kou in episode 50.

I found that a bit jarring myself. I understand the dynamics of the tsundere character, but the slap seemed a bit too "tsun" at that point to me as well. I can don my psychologist's hat and view it as a last-ditch effort by Aoba's psyche to deny her feelings for Kou. From a ritualistic perspective, the slap mght have been the expected method for Aoba to display her supposed disdain for Kou. Regardless it seemed a bit too melodramatic. Coming to grips with your true feelings for each other while surrounded by dozens of people wouldn't be my first choice.

I was started by how much shorter Aoba was compared to Kou in that scene. I generally found that whole scene annoying, if not offensive, because it plays upon the patriarchal stereotype of the strong, emotionless man taking care of the weak, emotional woman. Kou is hardly emotionless as a character, but you wouldn't know it from that scene where he hides his feelings to look "strong."

It's a shame that SynergySP hasn't had more chances to shine. I guess the, to be brutally honest, pathetic DVD sales and mediocre ratings for Cross Game suggests we foreigners liked this show a hell of a lot more than did the Japanese.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-06-07 at 21:45.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote