View Single Post
Old 2012-07-01, 07:58   Link #77
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I'm not saying that copyright should necessarily disappear entirely, just that it might be good if copyright restrictions were largely (if not entirely) lifted, just on the internet.

Simply put, I think that a well-managed entertainment industry can find ways to be successful while coping with widespread internet piracy .

The reason I say that is that the anime industry has found a way to do it, and it's far from inexpensive to create anime.

The problem I have with copyright restrictions is that it's main impact on the internet is being just one, big, annoying killjoy that probably doesn't earn a penny for professional creators in the processing of being that.

Let me give you a good example of that - The famous "Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged" series by LittleKuriboh. This was insanely popular on YouTube, and I also enjoyed watching it. But then YouTube started deleting it like crazy, all because of copyright infringement.

"Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged" shortened Yu-Gi-Oh episodes, and redid (most) of the lines to basically spoof the show and have some fun at its absurdities. But it wasn't a mean-spirited thing; it was clearly a labor of love done by a fan of the show.

Now, do you really think that Yu-Gi-Oh Abridged was hurting DVD sales for Yu-Gi-Oh? If anything, it was renewing some people's interest in the show.

The problem with modern copyright law is that, in application, it's like a big, dumb, messy bomb that causes a lot of collateral damage. It frequently, if not typically, causes more harm than good.

Fans should be able to freely make and share AMVs on any website that has the functionality in place to do this (including YouTube). Fans should be able to freely write fanfiction and share it on any website that is set up (in whole or in part) for the dissemination of fanfiction. And original TV airing anime episodes are in large part just advertisements anyway - How can it be bad for an advertisement to gain a wider audience?

These things are good for various entertainment franchises. If anything, they add to their fame and popularity.

The anime and manga industry is a great example of this, where derivative fanworks (particularly in the form of doujins) are absolutely huge in Japan. But this doesn't seem to be hurting those two industries. If anything, it seems to be helping them.
I don't see why an internet fanfiction should be treated differently from a paper doujin. If you're going to allow one, you should allow the other.

That said, the problems you've raised aren't problems with the principles of copyright (that creators can control the reproduction of their work and thus sell the rights) but in its translation into actual laws and in the use of said laws. I don't find it that worrying, though. Those who use the Internet the best will eventually gain an advantage.

And while I can see that the greater visibility brought by fanwork would be an advantage, I can also see that having TV broadcasts (and DVDs) compete against internet streaming where all the ad revenue goes to Google instead of the production companies would hurt the latter's bottom line.

It's not really a simple, all or nothing problem, and any solution would have... collateral damage.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote