View Single Post
Old 2011-03-10, 21:38   Link #17
naikou
Slashy Slashy!

Yeah, I know well the troubles of writing on a phone. You are forgiven for not being able to proofread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron View Post
Id forgotten about natsuhi, but frankly she is the obe exception to my point, and that can be explained as being a reaction to natsuhi culprit theory than intentionak design.
You think Natushi being a well developed character was an accident? Yeaaaah, I'm sure Ryukishi totally meant to leave her bland and uninteresting.

Man, I totally wish I could unintentionally write good characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chron
Maria is closer to being in denial, but even that is angst. Episode 4 showed most strongly what her deeper feelings were. Including her frustration and feelings of vengeance.
A character who is happy (if a bit weird) on the surface, but contains deeper layers of frustration, to the point of being vengeful?

It almost sounds as if you're saying that she has... depth? :o

Quote:
Eva has two modes: loving wife and mother, or tortured asshole. Neither are explored, she just acts in those roles and thats it. Eva and Eva-Beatrice make this point even clearer by making each sidr a.srerate individual.
She acts like a vindictive bitch toward Krauss and Natsuhi. She acts like a jealous over-protective mother (not loving) toward Shannon. She acts like a good little daughter toward Kinzo. She acts like a bullying older sister toward Rosa. She acts like psychotic madwoman whenever George dies.

Really, the only person who gets the "tortured asshole" treatment is Ange.

And there's another character who has a lot of development whom we're not discussing: Rosa. A frazzled single-mother who abuses her daughter, but is nonetheless sympathetic (sometimes). She puts on a facade of weakness and stupidity to deceive her older siblings, but she's possibly the most competent of any of them, when it comes time to play ball. Like many other characters, she's very lonely and isolated, and she secretly wishes Maria's father would come back, even though he's obviously a jerk.

Depth!

Quote:
Ange is obvious, her angst is handwaved as being justified, but it is never anything more than that
I don't like Ange much, so I won't press that point. I think she's more than just angst (she does get over herself eventually) but angst is a big part of it. But what do you expect from a teenage girl whose only living relatives want to A) steal all her money or B) make her life a living hell.

Quote:
One more thing. Everything about rokkenjimma we know is entirely within the context of fictions within fictions, with 8 different representations ogf events there. If anything the island in lost was more forthright in revealing its secrets than rokkenjimma.
It doesn't matter at all if it's fictions within fictions. The nature of Rokkenjima has been very clearly explained: There is nothing special or supernatural about it at all.

You haven't given me any examples of questions you still have about the island.

For instance, about Lost I can say, "Where did the smoke monster come from?", "What did the numbers mean?", "What the fuck was up with Walt?", "Where did the ending come from?", etc.

Everything about Rokkenjima has an explanation (as far as I'm aware).
naikou is offline   Reply With Quote