View Single Post
Old 2010-12-17, 04:32   Link #168
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Presumably, some of those people say it's bad because they think it's bad. I've never read Medaka Box, so I have no opinion on its worth, but "popular" and "good" hardly have an iron-clad relationship.
Well, I was actually going to say 'I wonder why people say Medaka bad in terms of sales'.

Quote:
I'm not so sure. Relentlessflame had a post in the Ep 11 thread that rings true to me on one point, and that's that the individual arcs (at least for Kanon and Shiori) appear to be directed in a manner deemed fitting for the respective subjects.
What I'm referring is even more specific ones, something like that idiotic Heidi parody we've seen in the third episode. A lot of brilliant comedies in manga which was drawn in a single panels got dragged and lost its charm. There were really, really awkward directions that sometimes left me either go wtf, or just get plain-bored. Not just comedies; things like dancing scene from Kanon or 'I can see the ending' sequence definitely wasn't effective as it should be. In 9th episode, we had original element added where Shiori goes 'Book is history! Book is the world!', which I thought was very lacking (dull camera angles, dynamics, colouring, lack of creative special effects).

Of course, it's my opinion. However, it's still true that there are some sort of huge holes in Manglobe's direction throughout the series that I just can't ignore. Those might look very insignificant, but those small things are what cause majority of fans to turn around. These kind of specific directions are actually what SHAFT is good at, except the fact that they go overboard with these stuff and make it too 'shafty', creating tons of antis.