View Single Post
Old 2011-11-06, 18:53   Link #87
Vicious108

Episode 6's closing scene was very interesting to me as a Fate/Stay Night Visual Novel player who is experiencing Fate/Zero for the first time. One of the reasons being that it was a lengthy conversation between Kotomine and Gilgamesh, two of my favourite characters in F/SN, where, despite their partnership, we rarely saw them interact all that much. Just seeing them talking to each other that much was rewarding as a fan of the VN, but the contents of the conversation were also particularly interesting. Because for all of my theories and conjectures on how Kotomine came to be the man we see in F/SN, I never imagined Gilgamesh would've had a hand in it. I figured Kotomine would reach his F/SN mindset mostly on his own and then partner with Gilgamesh after Tokiomi's departure due to their then similar nature.

So yeah, it's pretty interesting to see Gil actually playing a part in shaping the Kotomine we see in F/SN, questioning the views on morality that'd been imposed on him and opening up his mind so that he might embrace the search for pleasure. It's also worth noting how this scene might actually fit Gil's alleged alignment of Chaotic Good, unlike the vast majority of the stuff he did in F/SN. I guess being bathed by all the evils in the world did have some effect on him, or at least more than he would like to admit. In fact, he too appears to have a somewhat different mindset from what we see from him in F/SN. There he claims the modern world to be filled to the brim with meaningless extras, whereas here he almost chooses to focus on the glass half-full perspective instead, claiming that one or two among the masses are bound to be interesting and therefore worth his time. Though I guess already having spent a decade amidst said modern world might also be part of the reason why he seems to have an even lesser opinion of it in the sequel.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote