Thread: Anime or not?
View Single Post
Old 2013-02-16, 14:49   Link #31
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
So what's wrong with using "anime" as a convenient shorthand for "Japanese animation"?
What's wrong is that using such a term for something that already exists in English language (animation) creates an imaginary rift between animation based on what country it's from. Such BS leads to "omg is it true anime?!?!" discussions like this, that often degenerate into sickeningly stupid country superiority contests (thankfully that does not seem to have happened here).

Look at other countries, do we see their animation as so "different", so "unique"? Why don't we have special words for Canadian animation, for French animation, for Korean animation? Why is "anime" so different from everyone else's animation?? It's not, and people should stop pretending it is.

Yes I agree that "anime" is easier to write, and without prior knowledge of the situation of the fan community I would say that characterizing different country's animation with words from their languages is absolutely fine and really cool. But unfortunately I know about the monkey poo throwing that using the term "anime" so much and no words for other countries inevitably causes.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-16 at 15:04.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote