View Single Post
Old 2012-09-05, 20:51   Link #1186
evil|plushie
The Last Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollownerox View Post
Now in regards to Yozora, I find that a lot of you guys are massively downplaying how traumatic her experience was. Now I am no expert on the subject, I am only studying Psychology right now so don't cite me as an expert or anything; and all my observations are purely based on what has been stated in the novels so far. But from what I can see from the what has happened so far is that the experience of Taka leaving so suddenly was the defining moment in creating Yozora's current personality. From what I can observe Yozora may have actually have developed a social disorder from the event. People who suddenly lose a person they cared for early on in their life develop a mentality that making future connections is pointless. They think, "What's the point of becoming friends with these people if they are just going to disappear later on?" Eventually they simply give up on society and cling desperately to their lost connection. Yozora is clearly living in the past, her entire motivation throughout the series was to recreate the friendship Sora and Taka had 10 years back. Then there's the fact that she blames herself for what happened back then. Remember back when the club was telling scary stories, and Yozora was scared of her own story? One of biggest things about scary stories is that the person telling the story must be terrified of it themselves in order to make it believable. Yozora's story was about a person betraying their own best friend and being punished for it. In order to create a believable scary story Yozora used her biggest fear to create her. In other words Yozora didn't just regret not showing up at the meeting, she felt what she she betrayed Taka by not showing up. I'm sure all of you know a child's mentality for responsibility, if a kid knows they did something wrong they will try to redirect the blame, this is completely normal for a child. However if the child knows something bad has happened but they don't know the reason why they will assume its their fault. To Yozora the act of not showing up caused Taka to move away immediately afterwards, she didn't know the reason why he left, all she knew was that she wasn't there and then he was gone. And so without knowing who to blame for it she placed all the blame on herself, believing that it was her fault Taka moved away, and making friendships with other people will just cause more problems in the future.

Before you guys start saying that Yozora's experience wasn't that big of a deal and Kodoka managed to get over it, I just want to say its not that simple. At the risk of sounding biased towards Yozora's side I want to go out and say I can fully empathize what she's going through since I went through an extremely similar experience as her. Those kinds of scars don't just go away, that kind of thing affects your entire way of interacting with people; and I can tell you one pep talk is not enough to solve those issues. Leaving aside any possible family problems that may help to explain her current personality, just the event of Taka disappearing is more than enough reason for her to, as some of you have termed it, be such a bitch.
I think you're overthinking it. I've mentioned this before but Yozora as a kid, was actually friendly and outgoing. She was the type who would go and protect someone from bullies. I find it hard to believe Kodaka was the only one she was friends with at the time. Might he have been her best friend? Yeah, sure. Only friend? Unlikely. Like I said, I find it hard to believe Yozora's trauma is solely because of Kodaka.

Plus kids as a whole are naturally more resistant to trauma than adults; probably because they don't overthink things.

http://sining83.blogspot.com
evil|plushie is offline   Reply With Quote