View Single Post
Old 2009-05-25, 21:58   Link #79
Kylaran
A Priori Impossibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The main problem is ignorance of democracy by the general populous not brainwash of the general populous that is the problem at PRC.
I stand by what I said because I see China as following a potentially dangerous path: unless the government is willing to make changes and change the current government system to have more constitutional safeguards against corruption, then the people that DO stand up will be targeted by the government.

You can teach democratic principles to a people as much as you want, but it doesn't change the fact that those principles could be put to use improperly at any moment in time, say, for more radical populist movements. I'm not saying that China's at a point of political instability where this is eminent, but it would be much easier to have the government relinquish its power slowly than to somehow push for more than a billion people to gain awareness of their political situation. After all, the stability inside China now is largely rooted in its economic development. We'll see significant internal pressure from an even larger majority of the public in China should the country's economic bubble burst.

As more and more Chinese are being educated (despite the fact that they don't have nearly the same amount of educational opportunities as other people in other countries), I think there will be a tendency toward protecting one's own individual rights. Let the intellectuals supporting democritization have an opportunity to take office in government. Even America had its own revolutionary aristocracy before and after the American war of independence; a large majority of the population in the colonies were divided along trade and business lines. Tories found their properties or British-supported businesses falling in danger, while others found British interference to be detrimental to home-grown businesses and previous, prosperous trade relations. The leaders of the revolution saw this as an opportunity to set into practice a government that represented their ideals, and, luckily, those men upheld their very own principles.
Kylaran is offline   Reply With Quote