View Single Post
Old 2012-07-29, 17:54   Link #1298
com_gwp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I think it's entitled that people keep clamoring that JC Staff isn't KyoAni and how they keep lamenting that it is JC staff instead of KyoAni, and now that they're showing their work which really doesn't look bad people are just going through their self fulfilled prophecy of being destined to dislike JC Staff's job here.
Funny you mention this, because most people I see here seem generally positive towards the PV reveal, and no one has outright made any comparision or are lamenting about the fact that a better studio could be doing it. Hardly what I'd call a bunch of entitled people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
But I perceive a general feeling of entitlement in this thread, that because they already think JC staff cannot succeed here, they never will be able to match their expectations. It's hard to chase some imaginary standard that was somehow set by a studio that never wanted to do this anime in the first place. Maybe that's not what you want, I cannot say, but I just don't see the reason to freak out about these designs that much. They really aren't THAT bad, I'll grant you that it's not unreasonable to say "well I feel they could be a little better," but the attitude here seems to be a full dismissal of something that's really not all that bad, hence why I called people here entitled. Dismissing an entire work, despite it being a pretty decent effort, just because of unreasonably high expectations.
What you're saying isn't entitlement, unless we're talking about our rights to subjective criticism. What exactly is wrong with putting JC staff against a metric based on what they've done, what the industry has achieved, and judging what they have produced? If it's bad, we'll call out as bad, simple as that. For the record, while I might say it looks reasonable for a JC staff production, I find that JC staff has stagnated in this department for years. Studios which used to put out far worse works than them have jumped ahead in this time, like Ufotable. With the standard of the industry as it is, LB's looking decidedly average.