View Single Post
Old 2010-07-25, 15:13   Link #14572
Kylon99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
Oh right I forgot about that. I guess that's a good way to explain that, but are sure there's nothing else that could explain it besides a conspiracy to fake his death? I just think he'd have to be threatened or bribed pretty badly to agree to something like that. if that's why then Rudolf is being pretty selfish.
I think he was more bribed. I take it most of the siblings are not people who could be cowed (for long) with threats. They'll find ways to get back at you. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judoh View Post
You keep saying that, but have you actually compared it to the survival rates in other mystery novels to make sure? I get the impression that the detective and the Doctor are needed for a majority of the story in a lot of mystery novels for narrative convenience. Mostly so we have people to discover and inspect the crime scenes. So it'd be natural for them not to be the first few people that are murdered.

I think you'd have a hard time finding a mystery novel where the Doctor and the detective are killed off first.
That's true. Without the detective, the story just ends rather abruptly. Or stumbles like in EP6.

However, most other detective novels usually have only one incident of murder, except for And Then There Were None. In that case everyone was murdered, including the doctor (although he was still left alive until he was no longer needed) and the detective didn't show up until the end... 8) ... EDIT: And then he supposedly didn't even solve it either, right? It was the confession from the killer...

Well, either way, it goes to show that Battler is special. (And Nanjo... less special. ) However, I would think that if Ryukishi had the detective survive long series of murders, that he'd need to come up with something more than just, 'He's the detective.' At least on the gameboard the idea of 'the detective' is not known to the pieces... there has to be some kind of other logic at work on that level...

I think the clues of his sin from 6 years ago have something to do with that logic.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote