View Single Post
Old 2011-11-20, 03:58   Link #684
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Now first of all is the setting. My god is this unoriginal. How many fucking shounen series take place in a school setting which pertains to the theme the series surrounds? Too many to count. Not to mention that it takes place on Earth. Wow that's unimaginative. Couldn't you have at least created your OWN world or something?
Well, a shounen series set in a high school in Mars is original.

Quote:
Second of all is the plot. What the fuck is going on? What are the characters supposed to be achieving? There's no goal presented for any of them here. Why am I supposed to keep reading if that's the case? The series could go on forever at this rate with these mini story arcs and never amount to any big climax. You could at least give me a general idea of how the series will be ending near the beginning.
I understand your pain, but do you think Kamachi would rewrite his light novels just to establish a plot for the manga adaptation? Of course not. That would be twice the pain on his ass, especially since he also writes the Railgun manga, the light novels, AND Heavy Object, which is another light novel series he writes.

Quote:
Next is the some of the characters. They're not really bad they're just kind of flawed. Touma's undeveloped and uninteresting, it seems to me that his "amnesia" is just an excuse to refrain from giving him a backstory. Mikoto is just there, I don't see a purpose for her and her clones lost a purpose too as soon as Accelerator was defeated by Touma, so why keep her around? Index and Accelerator on the other hand I feel have been fleshed out properly. We have had Index's backstory explained to us showing us her importance and Accelerator has shown us that he is a nice guy deep down despite the killing he's done in the past. The other characters either haven't been shown enough for me to judge or I already just don't like them (Kuroko).
Oh don't hate Kuroko. She's just what she is.

Quote:
Lastly is Touma's Imagine Breaker. This ability just seems to be WAY too unfair and overpowered to me. If it's able to cancel out any magic or whatnot, then that makes him unbeatable right? Where's the fun in following a protagonist that can never face a challenge or even fail the odd time? None at all. Plus there's no explanation behind what it is. C'mon you're just gonna give the main character a unbeatable ability without even telling us why he has it? Fucking unbelievable.
Imagine Breaker is only overpowered given the right circumstances, which happens pretty often. Plus, unless he is omniscient, he will have not a single idea as to why he has the Imagine Breaker in the first place. (Oh wait, he lost all his memories.)

That said, the Index manga is probably the weakest portion of the Index-Railgun franchise, particularly because it was released after the anime series started airing. The only advantage of the manga is that it can be more graphic than the anime series, but the manga has far less detail art-wise and has a story retold in another format with little changes.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote