View Single Post
Old 2010-03-24, 08:32   Link #78
Orath
Gunpla newborn

Send a message via MSN to Orath
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charred Knight View Post
I know that, but I do question how Oda is going to handle the story, since he just can't have the Marines fail because they are the main source of people who protect the world from pirates.

After the Impel Down arc which protrayed the Jailers as strict but necessary and had Luffy and friends freeing Crocodile, possibly the biggest monster outside of the Rosewald family. We then follow it with the Whitebeard War arc where the Marines are protrayed as evil for trying to get rid of a major rival., and the marines that are protrayed as noble are the ones who don't want to finish off the pirates because "they only wanted to kill Ace and Whitebeard" which while certainly helpful is not going to get rid of the actual crew. Then we get the treatment of Crocodile (which I hate) in which his previous characterization is thrown out and instead of a conniving bastard who should be fighting for himself, he comes off as petty and hating the marines for no apparent reason.
If we take Marines as a faction that pursuing their own agenda, then I agree with your points of the recent characterization, but they are not, the ones with agenda are the WG. Add to that, Marines are adhering to the justice approved by the WG and nothing more. Most of the marine force don't know they are serving as the protectors of WG agenda, and that the "peoples protectors" is just a front propaganda facade.

Going back to the Ohara incident, and how different mariners in the buster call followed their own code of justice; Saul deserting the marines, Aokiji in his confusion letting Robin escape, to Akainu terrorizing extreme of getting rid of anyone with a slight probability of exposing the true history.

What I think Oda is trying to convey through the run of One Piece so far, is the message of "the winner/stronger" dictates whats right and wrong, whats justice and whats evil, whats in the benefit of people and whats not. And the ultimate is, as an individual never trust the world how it appears, dig for the truth and defend it.

kind of an off topic, and might be for only me personally, I some what relate with that statement, (or Oda has another and this is the way i understood it ). In our real world, there is nothing that guarantee our last 2010 years of history is accurate especially the earlier 300 years. There have been several studies showing the history have been rewritten several times when ever a new empire ascended to being the big player in the world stage. So there is not a single "real" prove or evidence that what values our ancestors were living by were just and correct. Or on the "extreme" other hand, what around 3 billion people nowadays believe in and go by, is true and just.

I might be overestimating Oda