View Single Post
Old 2012-04-15, 02:53   Link #438
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
There was a website that listed it as 45 episodes, but they didn't have a reliable source. And supposedly the discs are being sold in such a way that indicates a shorter series.
If it's 45, I have much higher hopes for the anime, because by then, we'll likely reach Kumugawa's introduction, if not further. But there's no way you could capture the essence of Medaka Box in only 12 Episodes. This, contrary to what it seems outwardly isn't a run of the mill dime a dozen Harem Echii or Fan-service laden Slice of Life series that could be easily captured in 12 episodes. Contrary to what it seems.

You could capture Kore Wa Zombie, C Cube, Hagani, and more serious series like Fate Zero or Rinne no Langrange,etc in 12 or 13 episodes with no problems, because either their genre became mixed fairly early on (3 Episode rule), or they kept a consistent genre. Split Cour for such series is a wise move.

The problem are stories like Medaka Box, and Negima, where the tone drastically changes, but only after a few dozen chapters or so.

With 12 episodes, odds are, it'll possibly end near the point where the Manga almost got cancelled. That's the worst case scenario. And if that happens, I think we can kiss goodbye to a second season, and consign this to the same mass grave the Negima anime and it's ilk were buried in.

Of course, even with 45 episodes, there's a grim possibility that the directors will still be set in the Slice of Life/Harem! Echii Mindset when the whole plot shifts into a very Meta Shounen Action story. But I prefer to remain optimistic that the producers have at least read and comprehended the source material, and realized that there's a distinct change after the first two or three arcs.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote