Thread: Game of Thrones
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-08, 00:37   Link #621
james0246

What a frustrating episode. Individually, the scenes and little character stories were all well done, even the weaker - like Theon's story or the fat guy whose name I still do not recall- were still interesting. Sadly, the transitioning between stories was quite abysmal, often times relying on one character mentioning another (for whatever reason) and then that character appearing in the next scene. Also, there were a few throw away scenes that really didn't matter to anything (Specifically the not so brief scene between Shae and Tyrion that ate up too much time and covered little to no ground worth covering). Still, the scenes done right - Sansa with Olenna "the Queen of Thorns" Redwyne (played amazing by freaking Diana Rigg); Margaery with Joffery later in the episode (the way the crossbow is used by Joffery to try and show dominance only to turn into a powerful tool for Margaery was quite wonderful); and of course, the wonderful scenes with Brienne and Jaime including a great little fight sequence - were quite a treat. We're also (finally) introduced to Jojen and Meera Reed (who originally appeared in the second book, but are only just now making their appearance in the third season), and Bran's story finally begins to take off (Bran's story, for better or worse, has always been the hardest/least interesting to read, and it seems the adaptation is also the hardest/least interesting to really get into). And Arya does things that Arya does and we all love her for it.

One minor scene that reallyannoyed me, though. Catelyn's brief monologue discussing Jon Snow was very awkward. Beyond the fact that I don't think she ever really thought about Jon after he left for the Wall, the entire motivation for the scene was off. Michelle Fairley gives a damn fine performance, but I'm not really understanding were this revelation is coming from. (I'm also unclear why Robb and Cat believe or at least hope that Brandon and Rickon are still alive; this is a strange departure from the novels that doesn't really serve any specific point.)

All in all, this was a very strong episode for acting, but the editing and directing were all over the place. Still, there is a solid step forward in terms of plot and character development all around. 81/100.

(Next week, it looks like Dany's on the move, and one of my favourite scenes form the third book will unfold...)

edit: I just realized while watching that all the Night's Watch have different swords (not different types, but still different styles, I guess you can say...sorry I know nothing about swords). This is a nice little detail that emphasizes the slight thrown-together nature of the Night's Watch.

edit 2: I do not remember seeing any breasts this episode. For some reason, I find that vaguely disturbing...

Last edited by james0246; 2013-04-08 at 07:35.
james0246 is offline   Reply With Quote