View Single Post
Old 2008-02-23, 16:13   Link #31
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Another rich feast. Have I said how much I love this show?

The part I liked best was when Hiromi realized she said the same thing to Noe that Shinmother had said to her: "Your innocent face just captures men's hearts." (approx.) I had noticed a couple of times in previous episodes that they made Hiromi's eyes narrow in just the same way the Shinmother's do.

Personally, I feel Shin's mother's pain: as she says, this girl has come in and made her man and her son into allies against her. But at the end of the later scene, I think Hiromi's pain and determination are making her realize that what she is doing is bad. I didn't hear anything from Shin's mother about "nee-san."

Of course I loved seeing Shin showing love for Noe. Sure, he still loves Hiromi, but Noe is reaching him. She seems to be making him happy. He is in the best state of mind I can remember in the show, with his "happiness hairdo" and his energy in drawing his story. I just hope this is not the high-water mark of their relationship, as it could be. I do not look forward to Noe finding out about the deal.

It looks to me as if Nobuse's imperturbable love will eventually soften Ai. Not my preference. We'll see how they do it, if it does go that way.

In the basketball scene, the agreement was that whoever won could ask questions and get true answers. Hiromi asked how many guys Noe had gone out with, and Jun said "zero," and that all the rumors about her were false. Jun being honest about the deal was a shocker. Her quiet reaction was great.

The dangerous cliffhanger was also great: when Hiromi went and asked Jun to take her on the bike, he said he told her he didn't ride in the snow, that he didn't want to die. But she made him follow his agreement to do whatever she wanted.

Her calling him a siscon was a lovely irony, since she loves her putative brother. I don't see them making love, but it's possible: she is beyond the end of her tether and might do anything. But I get no sense at all that he would "take advantage" of her. Maybe the other way round, but I still doubt it. He is more human and humane in this episode than in any other.

Not sure about the shirt. It could be anyone, including Jun. Slight differences in drawing by the different crews that do each episode. I see both a similarity and an intimacy between Jun and Hiromi that I don't see between Shin and Hiromi: they are both tough and sad and living with the unattainable object. Her smile when he agrees to shoot from further out was beautifully complex.

This episode was by the Korean crew that did eps 2 and 5, but this time with a Japanese director (and two Korean animation supervisors).
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2008-02-23 at 16:24.