View Single Post
Old 2012-05-30, 18:40   Link #246
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qilin View Post
The consequences of Kiritsugu's wish are unrelated to him being selfless or not. The idea is that his intentions are (almost) completely selfless. I mean, this is a man who literally threw away all the happiness he could find for the sake of the world. His selflessness goes to such extremes that his sense of self could be said to be nearly non-existent. He is a person who would gladly sacrifice all he has for faces he's never seen, and he doesn't discriminate between the people he saves. Whatever harm his wish brings, just remember that he does it not for his own sake, but for the world's.

Oh, yes. Say what you like about his methods, but Kiritsugu is the closest thing to "selfless" that this show can offer, making him an appropriate example for what I was trying to say indeed.
From all your posts you seem to greatly admire or at the very least promote this style of selflessness as the penultimate form of human morality. I fundamentally disagree. I think a man can still be great even if some of his motives are impure. After all, I love my family and expect that to be reciprocated... there's undeniable, intrinsic selfishness involved, but I don't see how that's an inherently bad thing.

Of course, in Kariya's case, his selfish motivations led to disaster. But had he saved Sakura and done so based on impure motivations, well whatever. Some good came of it, no?
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote