View Single Post
Old 2013-02-28, 13:16   Link #218
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainLegacy View Post
I disagree. If death feedback is genetic, it would take an extremely sophisticated degree of expertise in altering one's genome to encode such a specific occurrence. With that in mind, I don't see why they couldn't have put in a reasonable 'self preservation' or 'self defense' clause into it. If it's social conditioning, then it should be capable of being undone through similar methods to the one we saw with the monk in the woods. So even if they could not originally have envisioned the existence of fiends, they do know of them now, and should have made the necessary alterations. They did their due diligence to a frightening degree on the preventative end, including killing their own children, but I'm supposed to believe they made no effort on the other end of things?
It's based on genetics AND conditioning. And I think the idea that they can create such pinpoint precision (you can only kill in some instances) would be even more unbelievable.

Quote:
Additionally, the death feedback does come off as rather malleable and nonsensical, no matter how I try to reason it, when one takes into account that they can put people to death indirectly through the mutant cats, or the doctor could have made a lethal injection (???) last time around. You say guns, bombs, etc are different from sending a cat to kill someone? I don't see how. They're both indirect and impersonal ways to achieve the same end. Both of these events should trigger death feedback, but they don't, because like Solace said, it's more or less a convenient plot element.
No the difference is the cat is doing the killing not you. Obviously that shows someone else or something else can do the killing for you. Just because you do not like the rule set up doesn't mean it does not make sense. It's not like they are standing there watching the cat as it kills its victim (if they were then obviously the mistake with Mamoru would not have happened).

Shooting someone with a gun is no different than killing them with a knife. I really don't see how you think that one would work.

And lets say death feedback would not be enacted if they set off a bomb how the hell could they even plan that with a fiend. Is the fiend just going to stay still to be blown up. Would no one else not get hurt in this type of blast (what happens if they accidentally kill other humans). And furthermore this is a society that has lost all notion of technology. Unless you are saying they can create a bomb with their PK but then oh wait that would be killing humans directly again.

So yeah I think your examples of bombs and guns are entirely different from the cats.

Quote:
I think it's subject to a bit of scrutiny no matter how die-hard a fan you are of this series.
I have criticized the series before I just disagree with people's complaints in this instance and I have explained why.

I also said the only thing you can possibly criticize is how the Doctor killed the Akki because it was not properly explained, at least not yet. I believe there is an explanation that does not contradict the death feedback rule (having to do with the akki calming down and asking for medicine).

edit: On another note I think another thing people are missing is that even if they developed a defense against the Akki this whole thing happened so suddenly with no warning that they couldn't prepare anything. They were caught off guard because of the festival & the monster rat attack. It was shown that one scout tried to warn everyone but everyone was already gone.

Last edited by Kirarakim; 2013-02-28 at 13:41.