View Single Post
Old 2011-05-02, 21:57   Link #1138
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthfanta View Post
MY RAGE AGAINST IS!
This is ridiculous, the author of IS is just SO annoying. I really wanted IS to be good, I kept deceiving myself with the expectations that the series would become better as it progressed, but nothing has changed. Why is it that there are tournaments in each volume (save vol.4) that are constantly attacked? Why do people attack only at tournaments? What is wrong between them and tournaments?Besides, why in the world are the Phantom task force attacking Ichika and crew? Nothing has been explained and that there is no progress in plot...at all! In addition, with so many governments involved in this story, why are the characters always just centered around those from the IS Academy? There should be plenty of conspiracies by other countries, beside the Phantom Corps. There should be heaps and heaps of characters similar to Toaru no Index, numerous side plots and events. All there is so far, is only the increase in girls. Furthermore, why is Ichika still so weak? This is pathetic. So annoying. Brilliant characters, mecha designs and setting, but the plot is a piece of garbage, assuming there is one. Also, even when fighting enemies, the 'good guys' always outnumber the 'bad guys'. What kind of story is this? The fights just lack grandiose because of this. Overall, IS is a huge letdown. It will no longer be a series receiving my full attention. The author has failed me, he just does not know how to utilise the setting of IS to it's greatest potential.
Comparing IS to To aru is just not fair. For one, their target audience are very different(can be seen from the publishers). I agree with IS becoming boring even though it has so much potential in the first place, but from the start, the setting has been set so it won't involved the countries as antagonist.

Reason number 1, why would the country need to attack the academy when the students will graduate anyway after 3 years and they can recruit the students after that.

Reason number 2, unlike academy city in Index, IS academy doesn't hold political power nor diplomacy power at all. IS academy is just a school, nothing more and nothing less, unlike Academy City who also functioned as research place on Esper ability.

Reason number 3, unlike in Index setting where the country is in tense relation with each other, there's no major bad relation here, which give the countries no reason to risk tarnishing their own country reputation by attacking a neutral place which doesn't have any political stand.

I agree with no big plot progression at all, but Index was also the same up until after Daihaisai(forget the city sport competition name)'s arc, which is about 10 volume in, it's just that here, the author use too many formula so the build-up arc feels really repetitive and boring compared to Index.

For adding heaps of characters, I don't think it will work here. Remember, unlike in Index where basically everyone can be esper or magician, here only girls can pilot IS, not to mention there's limited IS in the world sans the one that Tabane can magically create.

About Ichika being weak, I'm also confused by this. The author contradicted himself by saying in earlier volume that Ichika is a fast learner in IS technique, but when he start to be involved in battle, his brain become a mushed and all he do is charge ahead even though he knows his weapon waste a lot of energy. Personally, I think this is the author's fault for wanting to put a girl in the spotlight in each volume's battle, but instead of putting both said girl and Ichika in a partnership battle, he put the girl in spotlight and make Ichika looks stupid on the way. Strange thing is, Ichika looks stronger in the early volume(vol 1-3) compared to the last 2 volume(vol 5-6) where he seems so..... useless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Ping View Post
Well, be careful what you wish for. Not all LNs are 'early bloomers' (though it's rare to see a story not improve after 3 volumes or so). TAMnI is one that really got interesting very late into the story, so we'll see.

Seeing as how things are going now, I may stop my translation of IS at Volume 3 so that I can focus on 'some other projects', so someone else will need to continue on after that.
I originally planned to continue with vol 7 after finishing vol 6, but seeing the way the author keep repeating the same pattern, I might do vol 5 instead so I can retire if vol 8 still repeat the same formula again(tournament, then an intruder appears.)
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote